PWG> RE: Character repertoires in printers

BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1) jim_bigelow at hp.com
Thu Oct 24 19:15:07 EDT 2002

Elliott,

I agree that it's a good idea.  I've been wondering how a sending
application would know what fonts and characters are available in a printer.
It also seems to me that a certain level of consistency would improve
printing across a range of printers and promote acceptance of mobile
printing by improving the user printing experience, i.e., the user prints a
job to any printer and doesn't have the experience of a document printing on
one printer and not on another.

This also seems to me very important in Europe and Asian were there are lots
of mobile users and characters outside the North American character set.

A printer that conforms to the CSS Print Profile must support a minimum set
of characters since the CSS2 specification says
(http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/fonts.html#generic-font-families):

"15.2.6 Generic font families
[...}All five generic font families are defined to exist in all CSS
implementations (they need not necessarily map to five distinct actual
fonts). User agents should provide reasonable default choices for the
generic font families, which express the characteristics of each family as
well as possible within the limits allowed by the underlying technology. "

I don't know if this defines a set of characters that is sufficient for
printing world-wide.  Perhaps, that is a question for the proposed group to
answer.

The W3C has had some interest in this topic and is doing some work for CSS3
on fonts and web fonts.  However, I think the PWG is the place to approach
this from a printing point of view.  However, I don't know if a new group
should be chartered or the UPnP/XHTML-Print group asked to consider this.

Jim Bigelow
Hewlett-Packard