PWG> Document numbering - Candidates vs Standards

PWG> Document numbering - Candidates vs Standards

PWG> Document numbering - Candidates vs Standards

don at don at
Fri Mar 14 07:23:57 EST 2003

... and should we decide to number standards from the beginning of their
life like the IEEE does, then we could prefix it with "P" for "project" or

P5300.1       Skywriting Print Standard (Project)
CS5300.1      Skywriting Print Standard (Candidate Standard)
STD5300.1     Skywriting Print Standard (Standard)

 Don Wright                 don at

 Chair,  IEEE SA Standards Board
 Member, IEEE-ISTO Board of Directors
 f.wright at / f.wright at

 Director, Alliances & Standards
 Lexmark International
 740 New Circle Rd
 Lexington, Ky 40550
 859-825-4808 (phone) 603-963-8352 (fax)

"Hastings, Tom N" <hastings at> on 03/13/2003
05:42:08 PM

Sent by:    owner-pwg at

To:    pwg at
Subject:    RE: PWG> Document numbering - Candidates vs Standards

An other alternative is to keep the same number, but have some letter
prefixes, such as CS to mean candidate standard.

Thus the official PWG number for a Candidate Standard versus Standard for
Skywritting would be:

Ex CS-5300.1 = Skywriting Print Standard (Candidate Standard)
   STD-5350.1 = Skywriting Print Standard (STANDARD)

For example, I seem to recall that ANSI standards say BSR nnnn for a draft
standard (which stands for Board of Standard Review, as I recall) while the
standard is being voted on.