McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Sat Jul 10 23:01:03 EDT 2004

Hi,

I've just been reading a new I-D

  "Repurposing the STD Designation"
  draft-klensin-newtrk-std-repurposing-00.txt

and the closely related I-D

  "Proposals for a New IETF Standards Track"
  draft-black-newtrk-proposals-00.txt

What's interesting is their convergence toward
a proposal very similar to PWG Process/2.0.

The first-level IETF Proposed Standard (originally
specified in RFC 2026) has suffered feature creep
from the IESG, such that (except for not requiring
two interoperable implementations), it's as hard
as the second-level IETF Draft Standard.

Many new protocols are now implemented in products
based on late versions of Internet-Drafts (remember
IPP???) after working group 'last call'.  Most new
protocols _never_ advance beyond IETF Proposed Std.

A proposal is described in the second I-D above
to collapse to the Internet standards track to
two levels (from former three):

- Proposed Standard - very high quality, and
  prototyping strongly encouraged - as hard as
  Proposed Standard now is under IESG rules
  - essentially PWG Candidate Standard

- Internet Standard - two interoperable
  implementations, considerable experience
  - essentially PWG Standard

and invented a new lower level

- Stable Snapshot - a late I-D that has
  working group concensus or IESG 'light
  review' as stable for prototyping
  - essentially PWG document status level Stable
    for a working group draft

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434