McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Sun Sep 11 19:13:48 EDT 2005

Hi folks,

Here's a good way to 'archive' in a formal sense (as Jerry Thrasher
says) the Counter MIB and IPP Fax Protocol specs:

(1) Send them through PWG Last Call
    - already done for Counter MIB - no outstanding issues
    - IPP Fax still needs review of last Security Considerations edits
      and then PWG Last Call

(2) Send them through PWG Formal Vote as INFORMATIONAL documents
	- publish them with a new 'info-' document prefix in
      ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/informational/
      as 'info-[working group document]10-yyyymmdd.pdf'

(3) Like all PWG Informational documents they do NOT receive a number
    - this avoids confusion about "what's on PWG standards track?"

[Note - IPP Fax Requirements have already been formally approved and
were published in the Informational category in February 2004]

I propose to revise the ABNF for the PWG Process/2.0 naming in:

  ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/informational/pwg-namespace-policy.txt

and add the generic 'info-' prefix as follows:

  infopfx     = "req" /                   ; Requirements (w/ SHOULD)
                "bp" /                    ; Best Practice (w/ SHOULD)
                "ch" /                    ; Charter (w/ scope/milestones)
                "info"                    ; Informational Specification

Comments?

PS - I sure hope folks like this idea, because I think it's very
much in the practical spirit of the PWG.

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: imcdonald at sharplabs.com