WBMM> Re: printermib question

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Tue Jan 20 14:20:11 EST 2004

I agree, using input/output level sensors will be inaccurate for sheet fed
devices (somewhat better for roll-fed with linear units of measure) . It
sounds like you need to set your prtMarkerCounterUnit to (8-sheets). If
the devices you are monitoring do not enable this choice, the fall-back
depends on whether the device is configured for simplex or duplex. If your
printer is configured for simplex, then the number of impressions = number
of sheets. If two-sided printing occurs, the number of impressions roughly
= 2x the number of sheets fed but this approximation can have a wide
variability depending on the types of jobs. We are working on extending
the semantics that will apply to situations you are interested in. See
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/wbmm/white/PWG-Usage-Counters-Table-0.03.pdf and
feel free to share any comments you may have by sending e-mail to
wbmm at pwg.org.
Harry Lewis
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems
http://www.ibm.com/printers
303-924-5337

"Lars H. Fiedler" <LFiedler at cc.gatech.edu>
01/20/2004 10:29 AM

Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM at IBMUS
cc

Subject
printermib question

Harry,
    I'm working on the net printer mgmt tool, and I was hoping to get the
total number of pages printed.  I see the markerlifecount, but this is in
impressions on the printers I'm managing.  I would like to know the number
of sheets (the number of pieces of paper that have gone through the
printer). In some printers, I guess I could get it by looking at the level
in the input and output trays, but this could get complicated w/ user
interaction, and also, my printers can only detect the presence of paper
and
not the actual number in the input and output bins.
Ideas on how to get this value?
-Lars