The concall today went reasonably well, and we got much more than our
allotted fifteen minutes of fame. Still didn't quite get thru it all,
Comments that I heard and noted during the discussion.
- Adding properties to PrintService, no problem. Deprecating properties
is harder. We may get pushback from some people who have already
implemented them, like parts of IBM or HP.
- Need to find out what the history of the changes was. It's their
impression that all the changes were made on behalf of PWG by some
champion in Core. John Crandall will get hold of Steve Jerman.
- For some items such as consoles, covers, channels, maybe counters, it
will likely be better to write a profile that describes how to use
existing classes to model these items. Need to check on the
availability of suitable existing classes.
- Language interpreter might be modeled with SoftwareIdentity; not
- For some items, we can probably use the Capabilities and Settings
classes and mechanism already in CIM. [Might be reasonable for paper
sizes, media paths, trays.]
- We should take a look at the Profile User's Guide for guidance. [I'll
try to find it.]
Overall, the topic ended very abruptly and I felt left hanging. We need
a working contact or two within Core who can do the education back and
forth about CIM and Printers. We need to look at doing the editorial
changes as "low hanging fruit first." We need to discuss process. They
did not seem to disagree with the scope, but the next steps were not
clear to me. Harry, Ira, et al., do you understand better how to
Richard_Landau(at)dell(dot)com, System Mgt Arch & Stds
+1-512-728-9023, One Dell Way, RR5-3 Box 8352, Round Rock, TX 78682
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...