I urge that we add an appendix to the WIMS Protocol spec to
collect the action items. There was considerable loss of
context from the many months away from the work.
(1) Remove all descriptions of WIMS Protocol as 'an HTTP-based
protocol' and describe it ONLY as an abstract protocol.
References to HTTP should occur ONLY in the Normative
appendix that defines the SOAP binding - implementation
of SOAP/1.2 over ANY session layer should be conforming
- HTTP, SMTP, and BEEP are alternative session layers.
(2) Rewrite section 'WIMS URI Scheme', to support ALL protocol
bindings with a single URI scheme 'pwg-wims:', using
parameters for presentation layer (SOAP, BLOCKS, etc.),
session layer (HTTP, SMTP, BEEP, etc.), transport layer
(TCP, UDP, SCTP, etc.), and possibly network layer (for
non-Internet network protocols like NetWare IPX).
(3) Revise section 'WIMS Interface Definition, to replace
'SenderURI' with 'SenderReference', and 'AgentURI' with
'AgentReference' (both with corresponding strong types)
- also revise corresponding XML schema.
(4) Revise section 'PWG and IANA Registration Considerations',
to remove note about registration of WIMS URI scheme.
(5) Rewrite section 'Security Considerations', based on the
very thorough (and relevant) section in PSI/1.0, which
conforms to RFC 3552 /BCP 72 "Guidelines for Writing RFC
Text on Security Considerations". This section MUST be
rigorous in a formal proof sense.
Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221 Grand Marais, MI 49839
email: imcdonald at sharplabs.com