WIMS> CIM> Clarification of CIM v2.11 files on DMTF

WIMS> CIM> Clarification of CIM v2.11 files on DMTF

Richard_Landau at Dell.com Richard_Landau at Dell.com
Fri Feb 10 12:53:29 EST 2006

A couple things to consider when you go to dmtf.org to get the CIM v2.11
files:

- The full set of files for the specs is at
http://www.dmtf.org/standards/cim/cim_schema_v211/

- The experimental files are a superset of the vanilla files.  They
include a number of additional classes that have been added recently,
about 250 of them.

- There are no new printing-related experimental classes.  Well, there
is one, CIM_QueueStatisticalData, that displays counters for running and
waiting jobs, which could certainly relate to print queues as well as
job queues.  And I might have missed some others.

- Unless you care about the experimental CIM classes, you can get the
smaller zip of MOFs, labeled "Final.".

- As I mentioned on the call, but others didn't hear, CIM v2.11 changed
the packaging of MOF files.  Now, instead of 128 files containing
somewhat arbitrary collections of classes, you now have 1400 separate
MOF files, each containing one class, but arranged into fourteen
subdirectories.  I personally find the directory structure to be just as
arbitrary and confusing as the previous file aggregations were, so I
chose to flatten all the files into a single directory when I unpacked
the zip.  Your choice.

- The XML files come packaged two ways: one large XML file containing
all classes or a thousand individual XML files, one class each.  Your
choice again.

Happy reading.

rick

Richard_Landau(at)dell(dot)com, System Mgt Arch & Stds
+1-512-728-9023, One Dell Way, RR5-3 MS 8509, Round Rock, TX 78682