WIMS> Counter Spec Comments

wamwagner at comcast.net wamwagner at comcast.net
Thu Feb 15 21:17:27 EST 2007

Dear Mr. Petrie,

Ira did pass your comments on to the working group, and I did bring them up at the WG conference call. The Counter Spec has been approved by the PWG, and although we encourage wider participation and welcome comments, normally we would have preferred that such comments be considered during the original review and voting periods. However, since a small but basic error was found in the document, we are currently revising it and are considering un-controversial clarifications.

As one of several who worked on the document, I offer below my response to your comments, both for you and for the working group to consider. I have little doubt that there may not be full agreement with my rational, even among the various authors. If there is disagreement, we would welcome continued discussion over the next two weeks or so.

Bill Wagner, Chairman WIMS WG

Definitions
Is "raw traffic" defined in the Semantic Model; otherwise, I think it should be added to this document.
><WW><   The term "raw traffic" is used in the description of Monitoring Counters. It would seem that "activity" or  "workload" might be more appropriate. ============
I was really surprised at the definition of Image; image is a very general term and here is represents something very, very specific.
><WW>< As you observe, the term "Image" is being used in a very specific way in the document, requiring the restrictive definition. Still, it seemed better to use this familiar term  than to invent something new.=============
For Media Used does the term " media types" include both media size and type;  i.e. there could several media that are the same type but of differing size in a single job.
><WW>< The term "Media Types" is used in a general sense  to refer to the several elements (including MediaSizeName, MediaInfo, and the new element MediaAccountingKey) that can be used to identify specific media (see para 5.3.) ===============
For Monochrome impression I propose the first part of the definition read as
 ><WW>< Rick has addressed this.=============
For Number-Up I suggest - The number of [remove: user Job] logical pages to be imposed on each side of on a [remove: single media] Sheet.
><WW>< Although the words suggested for removal may not be technically necessary, the belief was that they do emphasize the characteristics and, in any case, do not detract from the defined definition. (;^>) ============
I don't understand whe some of the definition define things as objects.  For example does the Service need the words "An abstract object the represents ...." or is a Service just "A software component of a network...."   Same note applies to the definition of System - I really don't think of a System as an abstract object as defined here; it is just "A network host [computing] device.....".     In the text of the standard, it does appear the Service and System are a "software component" and "computing device" versus the abstract objects of them.
><WW>< I think Ira has addressed this.=============
For Sheet I suggest - A [remove] Sheet is a single instance of a medium. [remove rest of line]
><WW>< Same comment as for Number-up. These definitions are for human consumption, and a little redundancy, so long as it is not inaccurate, is not necessarily bad. ============
For Simplex - The printing of impressions on only one side of each Sheet. [remove rest of line]
><WW>< Same comment as for Number-up. =============
Add Single-Sided - A synonym for Simplex.  [add this because two-sided is included]
><WW>< Not a bad idea. Other comments? =============
For Waste - I don't believe that "non-productive ...." are the right words; the words make it sound like something not necessary was generated and printed by design.  I'm not sure what words to use... but Waste Impressions has good start.
><WW>< Waste is non-productive  work, but the objection is understood. I think we felt that people had  a basic idea what waste was, but we needed to stress that it was "work", as used in the document, and  was associated with a user job. Perhaps we could say:
"Work generated by the Imaging System while processing in User Mode (not in Maintenance Mode) which is always associated with a user job but not part of a user's imaged product. It is typically the result of a condition or problem in an Imaging System."
But then, we usually get into trouble with the word "product".=========
On page 19, second paragraph; first sentence; the word "consumable" add clarification since all media would be consumable for printing.
><WW>< Granted that "consumable" could be dropped. Does it confuse the meaning? =========
In many of the table the units are in "1024 octets" and then there is a unit is bracket called "koctets".  I had understood that "k" was an old notation and was being.  Specifically, "k" means 1000 and "Ki" means 1024.  So the units should be "KiOctets" following the current notation of "KiB" (versus "kb")