Thanks very much for your interest in prototyping Counter MIB!
YES - your prototype plan (below) is completely sufficient.
(Although, oddly, the Abstract Counter spec goes slightly further
and requires the MediaUsed group for each service you instrument,
which I consider a bug - Bill and Pete - maybe we should FIX the
Abstract Counter spec accordingly?)
To document your prototype for the PWG Process, you can simply
send an email note to HYPERLINK "mailto:wims at pwg.org"wims at pwg.org that says "we have prototyped
the Counter MIB". If you wish, it would be nice to summarize the
MIB tables you implemented (e.g., as below). It is important to report
any problems you encounter.
If you decide to prototype, then we will delay the PWG Last Call of the
Counter MIB v2 spec until we have your feedback and have addressed
any problems (e.g., documentation, clarity, conformance, etc.).
Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221 Grand Marais, MI 49839
email: imcdonald at sharplabs.com
From: wamwagner at comcast.net [mailto:wamwagner at comcast.net]
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 2:28 PM
To: McDonald, Ira
Subject: FW: RE: WIMS> RE: Counter MIB v1 - PWG Informational status
-------------- Forwarded Message: --------------
From: Walter Filbrich <w.filbrich at samsung.com>
To: 'Walter Filbrich' <w.filbrich at samsung.com>
Cc: 'Ira McDonald' <blueroofmusic at gmail.com>, wamwagner at comcast.net
Subject: RE: WIMS> RE: Counter MIB v1 - PWG Informational status
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 18:34:22 +0000
The probability that Samsung will agree to prototype the Counter MIB can be increased by simplifying the content of the prototype. The following is my proposal. Please let me now if this is sufficient for a prototype:
* Service Group: Managed Services supported: systemTotals, Print, Copy, EmailOut, scan (I guess this means scan that is not associated with copy or emailout)
* SubUnit Group: NO managed subunits
* Monitor Group: system totals only
* Time Group: system totals only (down time and maintenance time always zero)
* Image Group: image count for each service (SystemTotals, Copy, Emailout, Scan)for worktotals only
* Impressions Group: impression count for each service (System totals, Copy, Print) for worktotals only
* Two-Sided Group: impression count for each service (System Totals, Print, Copy)for worktotals only
* Sheet Group: for each service (system totals, Print, Copy) for worktotals only
* Traffic Group: for systemTotals only, worktotals only
* No Media Used Group
* NO Alert Group
* NO Alert Trap Group
Also, if Samsung does implement this prototype, what is required to demonstrate the prototype to the PWG?
Advanced Printing Software Lab
Samsung Information Systems America
3345 Michelson Drive, Suite 350
Irvine, CA 92612
Tel: 949 797 8085
Fax: 949 797 8099
w.filbrich at samsung.com
This message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above and may contain confidential or privileged information or protected attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, any review, dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message and its attachments from your computer and dispose of all other copies or printouts. Thank you.
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 268.18.26/746 - Release Date: 4/4/2007 1:09 PM
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...