Unfortunately, something has come up and I will not be able to chair the 10
January meeting. I ask Craig or Ira to do the honors.
I have a few comments on Ira's changes, and some questions. It appears that
the change marking of items in the MIB itself were lost, so my comments are
on the text of the changed items rather than the changes per se.
1. Usage information for all times gives three possible derivation sources.
I would be happier if just sysUpTime were referenced because I expect any
networked device will include this object, and it would be better to have a
2. The usage description for icMonitorMemoryAllocWarnings, taken cold,
seems a bit off.
"Usage: This counter is intended to support increasing available
memory on an Imaging System before job failures occur."
If a usage comment is needed at all, I would suggest something like:
"Usage: This counter provides a measure the safety margin in memory
capacity, to indicate that inadequate Imaging System memory capacity should
be increased before job failures occur."
3. A similar comment with regard to icMonitorStorageAllocWarnings
4. I think I have a problem with the usage information in
icTrafficInputMessages and icTrafficOutputMessages.
"System input messages may be mapped from ifInUcastPkts"
In the Counter Spec, we defined
"Message - A single application protocol request or response (that may
consist of multiple application protocol data units) received or sent by
Service such as EmailIn or FaxOut."
Even neglecting the question of how one associates ifInUcastPkts to a
specific protocol, it does not strike me that there is a clear correlation
between message and unicast packets.
5. Line 3876: two section breaks?
From: owner-wims at pwg.org [mailto:owner-wims at pwg.org] On Behalf Of William A
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 11:59 AM
To: wims at pwg.org
Subject: WIMS> WIMS Concall 10 January 12 Noon EST
Next WIMs/CIM concall is Thursday 10 January at 12 Noon EST.
Dial In: 1-866-365-4406
Toll #: 1-303-248-9655
1. Review of the Minutes of the 3 January
2. Consideration of Ira's post of Imaging System State and Counter MIB
v2 (see Ira's message below)
3. CIM Activities
From: owner-wims at pwg.org [mailto:owner-wims at pwg.org] On Behalf Of Ira
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 11:50 AM
To: wims at pwg.org; Ira McDonald
Subject: WIMS> Imaging System State & Counter MIB v2 (7 January 2008)
Hi folks, Monday (7 January 2008)
I have just posted the (hopefully) final working draft of the Imaging
System State and Counter MIB v2 with a status of "Stable" in a ZIP
- ZIP - this release note and all four files
and in the following individual files:
- MS Word source - with redlines
- PDF of Word - with redlines and line numbers - for review
- ASN.1 of MIB - compiles without warnings in Epilogue and SMICng
- PDF of MIB - color-highlighted ASN.1 of MIB
7 January 2008 - Imaging System State and Counter MIB v2 - Working Draft
* Changed document status from Prototype to Stable, to prepare
for PWG Last Call.
* Revised DESCRIPTION of fifteen existing columnar objects, adding
explicit mapping from existing MIB objects in Usage paragraphs:
icServiceState, icTimeTotalSeconds, icTimeDownSeconds,
icTrafficInputMessages, and icTrafficOutputMessages.
* Revised section 4 'Overview of Imaging System State and Counter MIB',
section 6 'Conformance Requirements', section 7 'IANA and PWG
Considerations', and section 10 'Acknowledgements', for clarity.
Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
579 Park Place Saline, MI 48176
PO Box 221 Grand Marais, MI 49839