WIMS> RE: CIM object requirement for WS-Management

William A Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Fri May 16 10:56:32 EDT 2008

Nancy,

As you may recall, Rick indicated that he would try to make certain aspects
of the prototyping effort public. (From
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/general/presentations/PWG-F2F-200804-WIMS-CIM-WG-
session-00.pdf>
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/general/presentations/PWG-F2F-200804-WIMS-CIM-WG-s
ession-00.pdf...

.          Maybe translation algorithms from SNMP vars to CIM properties

.          Maybe the XML format output from this translation

.          Both guaranteed to be not pretty but possibly instructive)

The derived XML  to Windows CIMON processing (Dell Secret Sauce) would not
be available. Further, since this would be a prototyping effort, the code
made available may not  be production quality.

I agree that making a MIB to CIM / SNMP to WS-Man converter available would
hasten bringing printers into  group of WS-Manageable devices. Having a
reasonable base of printers so manageable would stimulate the creation of
suitable non-proprietary management applications. (an objective that some
consider desirable and others  undesirable but that we, as engineers, should
wish to encourage.)

 I am passing your suggestion on to the PWG steering committee and request
that consideration of how this may be accomplished be put on the SC agenda.

Thank you,

Bill Wagner