FW: [WIMS] F2F Minutes posted - Concall 1 March

William Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Mon Feb 22 23:23:36 UTC 2010

Ira observed that he could find the referenced message from Mike Sweet.
Sorry, my error.The message from Mike Sweet was 11 February, not 10
February. It reads as indicated below. Although Mike does not say this, it
might be reasonable to suggest that, if there is insufficient information in
identifying the version of a PDL, is there much benefit in identifying the
PDL family? Nevertheless, I take Mike's comment not to mean that we should
not add variants, but that there is limited benefit in being too thorough.
Message follows:
----
I am ambivalent about adding a whole list of variants - for example, "PCL3"
isn't enough since (for example) HP's current products use something called
"PCL3GUI" to support RGB bitmap printing - a significant difference.
Similarly, PDF 1.4 and 1.6 are much more prevalent than PDF 1.7, and in fact
ISO 32000 and PDF 1.7 are not quite the same thing.  Adobe has also added
extensions to ISO 32000 since its publication, yet it is all just "PDF
1.7"...

For PostScript, I'm not sure that there are any new products (or old
products that would be updated) that support anything other than PS3, so I'm
not sure it is necessary to register PS2. Even if we did register PS2
support, there are a number of optional PS2 features that would also need to
be advertised (TrueType and CID font support, in particular) to make the
information useful.

An alternate approach would be to *not* include this information in the
command set but instead have separate keys for the major PDLs (PCL, PDF, and
PS), or make them first-class attributes for IPP (and the corresponding
semantic model - "pdf-versions-supported", "pcl-versions-supported", etc...)
so that we can track major versions and extensions needed for a client to
know what kind of data the printer can accept.