Character Repertories Mail Archive: CR> Links to Charset Maps

CR> Links to Charset Maps

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 19:05:48 EST

    Hi folks,

    Per my action item from today's Character Repertoires
    telecon, some useful links.

    Cheers,
    - Ira McDonald
      High North Inc

    The best introduction and in-depth paper on UTF-8
    and Unicode, from Markus Kuhn (a Unicode guru),
    last updated 19 November 2002 (a living document):

    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html

    IBM's open source ICU (I18N Components for Unicode)
    has a wonderful set of charset maps (they're in
    Unicode _to_ Legacy layout, which is the opposite of
    the ISO-8859 maps at the Unicode, which are in Legacy
    _to_ Unicode layout). The top-level URL:

    http://www-124.ibm.com/cvs/icu/charset/data/

    For official ISO and IETF language, country, and
    script codes visit Michael Everson's page (Michael
    is the IETF language tag reviewer and a heavy in
    ISO language standards and the Unicode Consortium):

    http://www.evertype.com/internationalization.html

    The complete up-to-date Unicode Character Database:

    http://www.unicode.org/ucd/

    The Unicode Unihan Asian database:

    http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/Unihan.zip (5.0MB)

    http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/Unihan.txt (25.1 MB)

    The Unicode Consortium maintained mapping tables:

    http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/

    And augmenting the mapping tables available from
    the Unicode site is the CSets page:

    http://crl.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/csets.html