Character Repertories Mail Archive: Re: CR> PWG> PWG IEEE

Re: CR> PWG> PWG IEEE-ISTO number for Proposed XHTML/Print standard

From: Harry Lewis (harryl@us.ibm.com)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 16:50:40 EST

    Yes, I will (obviously) need to carve a large time slot in the plenary for
    said process discussions!
    Harry Lewis
    IBM Printing Systems

    ElliottBradshaw@oaktech.com
    Sent by: owner-cr@pwg.org
    03/13/2003 01:41 PM

            To: Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM@IBMUS
            cc: "Hastings, Tom N" <hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com>,
    pzehler@crt.xerox.com, cr@pwg.org
            Subject: CR> PWG> PWG IEEE-ISTO number for Proposed
    XHTML/Print standard

    Harry,

    Apropos of this, I wanted to let you know the latest ideas for Character
    Repertoires.

    As decided at Maui, we plan to create a standards track document that can
    be referenced by the semantic model. This will describe a SM element that
    is used to advertise the repertoires supported by a device.

    We will, at some future point, want to assign a PWG number to this. I
    will
    do my best to follow the existing process, then cut over to the new one
    when it is official. One problem is that we don't have a formal chartered
    CR group. Since this standard may be our entire work, I don't know that
    we
    need to go through chartering.

    Options are:
      -do a CR charter
      -create this document under some other group
      -some sort of "individual submission" scheme

    Should we discuss this at the plenary?

      E.

    Elliott Bradshaw
    Director, Software Engineering
    Oak Technology Imaging Group
    781 638-7534

    ----- Forwarded by Elliott Bradshaw/oaktech/us on 03/13/2003 03:36 PM
    -----

                        "Hastings, Tom N"
                        <hastings@cp10.es. To: "Lewis, Harry"
    <harryl@us.ibm.com>
                        xerox.com> cc: pwg@pwg.org
                        Sent by: Subject: PWG> PWG
    IEEE-ISTO number for Proposed
                        owner-pwg@pwg.org XHTML/Print standard

                        03/13/2003 03:22
                        PM

    Harry,

    Per the discussion today at the SM telecon on PWG process about standards
    numbers and what to do about allocating a PWG number for the Proposed PWG
    XHTML/Print standard as requested by Don for the W3C.

    In order to give Don a PWG number for the XHTML/Print Proposed PWG
    Standard,
    the next series of numbers not yet used is 5102.n.

    Currently, Proposed PWG standards have the following numbers:

    5100.1, 5100.2, 5100.3, 5100.4 ... for IPP

    5101.1 for the Media Standardized Names

    So how about 5102.1 for XHTML/Print. If there are several documents,
    5102.1
    and 5102.2

    ISSUE: How to number future standards? We can decide later how to
    allocate
    numbers for:

    PWG Semantic Model
    Print Services Interface
    IPPFAX
    PDF/is
    etc.

    Is the 5102 series for document formats, so that PDF/is would go in that
    series?

    Should IPPFAX go in its own series, or should it be in the IPP 5100.n
    series?

    Should PWG Semantic Model be in its own series?

    Should PSI be in its own series?

    Or is there some common theme that would help put some of these in the
    same
    series.

    ISSUE: Separate isssue is what happens when the Proposed/Candidate
    Standard
    reaches Standard?

    Does it get a new number or use the same number? If a new number could it
    be some algorithm from its original number, such as adding 50. So 5150.2
    would be the Standard version of Proposed standard 5100.2.

    Tom