Character Repertories Mail Archive: RE: CR> W3C Character Mo

RE: CR> W3C Character Model and Early Uniform Normalization

From: BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1) (jim.bigelow@hp.com)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 18:37:33 EDT

    Elliott wrote:
    > What are the XHTML-Print operations that are affected by
    > normalization? This discussion is useful for string
    > processing (match, substring, sort) but I don't see how that
    > affects printing. One possible area is CSS class names; are
    > they restricted to ASCII?

    The CSS 2 specification for identifiers is in Section 4.1.3 [1] and states
    that CSS class names are not restricted to ASCII. So, if a class name is
    written with precomposed characters in one place and anyone of the other
    equivalent sequences in another place, then the two instances would only
    match if they were normalized, preferably to Normalized Form C. The same
    holds true for id attribute values.

    > Also, I don't see how a new report can change the definition
    > of an existing spec (XHTML). Isn't this a separate set of
    > rules that might be folded into future revisions?

    I think that the report [2] has been around for a while and I've just now
    become aware of it. I think it's an omission that the XHTML-Print spec
    doesn't reference [2] as a normative reference. This allows the situation
    where naïve implementations fail in the situation noted above. This could
    be addressed by adding a normative reference.

    Jim

    [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/syndata.html#q4
    [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/