Re: IDS> IDS canceled today?

From: Dave Whitehead (david@lexmark.com)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2008 - 12:00:35 EST

    All,

    Yes, we'll still have the IDS call today at 1:00 PM EST. I have not seen
    an updated NAP Binding spec, but we can discuss the Secure Time definition
    (below) and Microsoft's responses to our questions that I forwarded
    earlier.

    dhw

    David H. Whitehead
    Development Engineer
    Lexmark International, Inc.
    859.825.4914
    davidatlexmarkdotcom

    ==========================

    Secure Time: This attribute signifies that the time source used to set the
    device's clock(s) is considered a trusted source. Many security
    mechanisms rely on accurate time to enforce security. Examples include
    validity periods on X.509 certificates and Kerberos Tickets. As such, it
    is important to know that the device's internal clock(s) acquire time in a
    secure manner. If the time source is not secure, it could lead to denial
    of service (set time outside the validity period) and/or allow
    unauthorized access (set time to within validity period.) There are
    several ways to acquire the time including Network Time Protocol (NTP) and
    explicitly set by the user via some user interface. NTP has the ability
    to utilize encryption and integrity checks using pre-shared keys. The
    user interface to the clock can be protected using passwords. It is
    important to note that RTCs are often used in devices and may utilize a
    bus structure, such as I2C. In such cases, the bus used MUST NOT be
    accessible externally from the device.

    ==========================

    "Ira McDonald" <blueroofmusic@gmail.com>
    Sent by: owner-ids@pwg.org
    12/15/08 11:52 AM

    ids@pwg.org, "Ira McDonald" <blueroofmusic@gmail.com>
    cc

    Subject
    IDS> IDS canceled today?

    Hi,

    Bill Wagner, Glen Petrie, and I (the quorum at the WIMS WG telecon)
    were just wondering if anyone still plans to have an IDS WG meeting
    in one hour at 1pm Eastern today?

    Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
    email: blueroofmusic@gmail.com
    winter: