IFX Mail Archive: RE: Online and connected?

RE: Online and connected?

Michael Crawford (mcrawford@iready.com)
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 17:43:45 -0800

The notion of dialup works with the "always" connected model when the sender
is a dialup
and the receiver is "always available" (i.e. Lan connected to the Internet
via a gateway or via
intranet).

Dialup Fax to Connected Device is a likely type of transaction where a
dialup fax meets this criteria.
Thus a dialup fax (or other device, digital camera, portable scanner, PDA,
etc.) might choose to dialup and
"come online", send a print job to a well known connected device (a printer
back at the main office), and
then wait for the results to be verified.

In this case the dialup device will not have to be a server, since it is
only online for the time it is being
a sender...

My question is how does this fit into the things we have been discussing,
and is this scenario a
viable reason for a low end fax vendor to invest in using IPP for fax.

Mike