IFX Mail Archive: IFX> Re: IPP> REG - Proposal for "

From: Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 13:53:20 EDT

    "McDonald, Ira" wrote:
    > One question about usage and content. Mike said it should be
    > a valid name at the destination (paraphrase). Valid for what?
    > I'm pretty sure that users would want this attribute to be the
    > natural language given name of the recipient and NOT some network
    > login name. Comments?

    Unfortunately, that's not how the requesting-user-name and
    job-originating-user-name attributes are used in the real world -
    they typically are the authenticated username on the server.

    In the context of IPP notifications, we may want to be able to
    add a printer subscription for a specific destination user name,
    such that an operator (or a user) can be notified when a job is
    printed by another user for him/her.

    So, it's certainly possible that the attribute could contain a
    formal name for an individual, but it is more likely that it will
    be a username on the remote system (or a keyword specifying a
    class of users)

    Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com