IPP Mail Archive: Re: adding <jobs-in-queue> to ipp [relates to JMP]

Re: adding <jobs-in-queue> to ipp [relates to JMP]

Tom Hastings (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 18:01:19 PST

At 13:34 11/19/96 PST, rdebry@us1.ibm.com wrote:
>I noted that we have no attribute which describes the length of the queue.
>One of the main things that I look at when i personally submit print jobs is
>how busy the printer is. If a printer is very busy, I find one hat is not so
>backed up. What about an attribute called <jobs-in-queue>?

I agree. The PWG also agreed to add such an object to the Job Monitoring
MIB: jmGeneralCurrentNumberOfJobs.

Currently, the spec includes both pending/processing and completed jobs.
We should probably have two counters: one for pending/processing and
one for completed jobs.

One nit, should the pending/processing counter include the currently
processing job or not? I think yes, so that an idle printer has a distinct
value (0), from one that is processing only one job and there are no more
in the queue (1).

Tom