IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Desperately seeking info on HTTP servers and CGI scripts

Re: IPP> Desperately seeking info on HTTP servers and CGI scripts

Chuck Adams (adamsc@pogo.WV.TEK.COM)
Wed, 04 Dec 1996 16:45:05 -0800

Tom Hastings wrote:

> Apparently there are a lot of books on HTTP. However, they have a lot of
> detail and it has been reported that it is hard to find out about
> HTTP servers and CGI scripts.
>
> The IPP project has agreed as a goal that the IPP protocol can be implemented
> in an HTTP server as a CGI script that interfaces with a printer or print
> system using whatever protocol that printer or print system supports so that
> no modifications have to be made to the HTTP server, except installing the
> CGI script.
>
> Presumably you need a separate CGI script for each such printer or print
> system job submission protocol.
>
> So where can we find out more about what CGI scripts are and what kinds
> of things can be written in them? Are there RFCs? Library books?

I have a copy of "Build a Web Site: The Programmer's
Guide to Creating, Building and Maintaining a Web
Presence" by net.Genesis and Devra Hall, Prima Publishing,
ISBN: 0-7615-0064-2. It is an introductory book on
CGI scripts and WEB sites.

Chuck Adams
Tektronix, Inc.