IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> RE: Printer Instance Creation/Installation

Re: IPP> RE: Printer Instance Creation/Installation

Carl-Uno Manros (cmanros@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Tue, 17 Dec 1996 18:29:22 PST

Bob,

if I recall correctly, one of our user requirements was that we would
like to avoid having a separate print driver to install for every new network
printer that a user may want to use. Compare this to fax today - you do
not expect the user to download a new piece of software for every new
fax address he/she wants to use. My hope would be that the "IPP print driver"
is a generic piece of software, which can be used for many different printers
in combination with a relatively short list of capabilities and options for a
particular printer. This list could be stored locally or downloaded every
time.
Am I too optimistic here?

BTW, this kind of thing is what I mean with the need to start producing use
scenarios, as everybody usually has a favorite implicit scenario in mind
when discussing a subject, but everybody's scenario can of course be quite
different. As long as we haven't written them down, we risk speaking past
each other.

Carl-Uno

At 05:25 PM 12/17/96 PST, Robert Herriot wrote:
>After reading Peter Zehler's document, I think that we have different
>understandings of how IPP will work on a PC. I have assumed that the
>procedure that a user follows for finding a printer is separate from
>the print operation.
>
>For printer browsing, I would expect there would be some separate
>application possibly initiated through a web browser which would allow
>a user to specify printer characteristics and get back a list of
>printers. A user could then add one or more of these printers to the
>desktop. The operation of adding such a printer would install any
>necessary drivers to the PC, like any other add printer operation except
>that the drivers should come over the network and not request that the
>user insert the CD-rom.
>
>When a user wishes to print from an application, I would expect that
>the list of available printers might include some IPP printers, but the
>application not need be aware of this difference. The same GDI
>API's would be supported by the IPP driver.
>
>What do others think? Do you agree with my understanding or do you
>see things the way Peter does?
>
>Bob Herriot
>

>> From jkm@underscore.com Sat Dec 14 17:06:47 1996
>> Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 20:06:49 -0500
>> From: JK Martin <jkm@underscore.com>
>> To: IPP redirector <IPP@pwg.org>
>> Subject: Re: IPP> RE: Printer Instance Creation/Installation
>> Sender: ipp-owner@pwg.org
>>
>> Zehler,Peter wrote:
>> >
>> > All,
>> > I have placed a document that discusses these issues in the
>> > "contributions for discussion directory". I have an MS Word and
>> > a postscript version of the document. I need to convert the document
>> > to the Acrobat format. I need help with this since I do not have an
>> > Acrobat writer.
>>
>> An Adobe PDF file now exists for the file(s) described above:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/contributions-for-discussion/IPP-driver-issue.
pdf