IPP Mail Archive: Re[2]: IPP> Proposed Summary of IPP Feature Set -Reply

Re[2]: IPP> Proposed Summary of IPP Feature Set -Reply

Bill Wagner (bwagner@digprod.com)
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 22:11:22 -0500

There are, perhaps, multiple agenda to be resolved. But the need for a
capable, readily implementable and expandable IP printing system is, I
think, rather clear.

1. IP appears to be becoming the predominant protocol, not just for
things concerned with the popular concept of the Internet, but for the
work-horse networking in business and commerce as well as education
and scientific areas.

2. the new IP clientele include a large non-Unix oriented, non
workstation oriented population. They are PC and Intel-box Windows
people accustomed to expecting plug and play, non technically
demanding, 'user friendly' capabilities that still provide them with
the perception of control.

3. Printing, in meeting the demands of the market, has become very
complicated in imaging, paper handling. marking processes, etc. Those
same technically unsophisticated users want to be able to take
advantage of these features (which, of course, is the reason they
bought the new printers with those features). I would suggest that
many classical IP clientele have similar desires and expectations.

A standardized protocol for a IP printing system is needed. LPD does
not provide a sufficient base for the existing printer capabilities
let alone for the coming ones. DPA has defined perhaps too broad and
inclusive a capability; as Novell has pointed out, there are several
non compatible implementations. Non compatible implementations are
not in keeping with internetworking.

Although presented as an approach to "Internet Printing" (which means
different things to different people and has a certain panache to it)
the objective of Novell's LDPA was to provide a subset of the
advantages of DPA in a standardized from to the community of Internet
Protocol users. Although there have been certain changes, that remains
the core of the IPP document. I suggest we return to that core
objective, which is not insubstantial and may need some trimming,
keeping in mind that what is established will have to act as the base
for the grander printing schemes we envision.