IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> What is it we really need?

RE: IPP> What is it we really need?

Babak Jahromi (babakj@MICROSOFT.com)
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 13:57:56 -0800

>----------
>From: Alex Bochannek[SMTP:abochann@cisco.com]
>
>Well, I think it became quite clear from Angelo's email, that the
>largest number of implementors (the folks who write the printer code)
>will most likely not have the option of using anything even close to a
>"stock HTTP server". They probably have better tools to write code
>straight to a socket API than to their own HTTP server
>implementation. And I can tell you from very recent experience that
>printing directly to a printer, circumventing the intermediate step of
>a print server, is not only something that small shops do since at a
>certain point, print severs just don't scale anymore.

How can the squeezed, embedded server code in a printer box ever be a
match for the kind of service a "print server implemented on a computer"
can provide? We just saw an example of why a print server trapped inside
a printer box can never match a print server inside a computer: The
"printer" guys have to laboriously write ancient C code on top of TCP,
while the "computer" guys have lavish tools and technology, like ISAPI,
ActiveX, Java, Denali, etc. available on their "computer" platform.

If anyone has solved a scaling problems with an NT 4.0 print server and
has got a better performance by removing the server and routing the
clients directly to the same old printer box, please send me the case
study.

Babak