IPP Mail Archive: Re[2]: IPP> What is it we really need?

Re[2]: IPP> What is it we really need?

Bill Wagner (bwagner@digprod.com)
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 16:12:31 -0500

Harry,

I agree with your observation. It is my underdstanding that the
internet is not a thing in itself, it is what results from the
interconnecting of individual networks. The idea of a printer on the
internet versus a printer on a corporate network with internet access
is very fuzzy. Perhaps the difference is the firewall. Many companies
have printers with IP addresses, but very few have them outside the
firewall (DPI does maintain one for remote demo purposes). Indeed,
even within a given network, routers may restrict access to certain
subnets. So perhaps a major distinction between IP printing versus
the WEB printing is addressing the question of the firewall.

Bill Wagner

Subject: RE: IPP> What is it we really need?
Author: "Harry Lewis <harryl@VNET.IBM.COM>" <harryl@VNET.IBM.COM> at Internet
Date: 1/7/97 11:51 AM

>I did not say there is no need for stand alone network printers. I said
>there is no dying need for them to be connected to Internet. That does
>not mean they should not be connected to the private corporate networks.
>
>Babak

I thought the whole point was that there is less and less of a
distinction between the internet and the private corporate net!

I think "improving network printing" and "internet printing" are
inseparable due to the way networks are accessed, utilized and
portrayed to the user today.

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems