IPP Mail Archive: IPP> RE: MOD - Push back on simplifying Print operation response

IPP> RE: MOD - Push back on simplifying Print operation response

Harry Lewis (harryl@vnet.ibm.com)
Fri, 21 Feb 97 08:04:41 MST

Sorry for the multitude of embeds, but this thread touches on something
that has been bothering me about IPP. I'm not judging which is the right
or wrong approach, but either we're building IPP for the scenario where
standard desktop applications (i.e. Babak's response), run on a
traditional desktop OS but the WEB underlies communications and print
submission *OR* we're building IPP for the NC (thin-client) world where
the WEB *IS* the OS and applications or applets, which have been modified
to run in this environment, now use print services based on IPP.

Or both, inevitably staged, based on Microsoft's NT5.0 direction.

Where is the real focus of IPP?