IPP Mail Archive: IPP> MOD - Re. Standard API required???

IPP> MOD - Re. Standard API required???

Carl-Uno Manros (cmanros@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 09:47:34 PST

At 06:54 AM 3/3/97 PST, rdebry@us.ibm.com wrote:
>Classification:
>Prologue:
>Epilogue: Roger K deBry
>Senior Techncial Staff Member
>Architecture and Technology
>IBM Printing Systems
>email: rdebry@us.ibm.com
>phone: 1-303-924-4080
>
>We have stated that applications and end-users will use IPP, but we haven't
>ever discussed that IPP will have an API. Do we assume that each
implementation
>will provide a unique API or do we assume that we will define a standard API?

Roger,

defining a standard API for IPP might be a good idea in general, but I
would strongly recommend that we focus our attention on getting the model
and protocol sorted out first.

To my knowledge, IETF does not deal with standards for APIs, so the PWG
would need to look at organizations such as IEEE or X/Open to host any such
future work.

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros@cp10.es.xerox.com