IPP Mail Archive: IPP> ABNF near finished? [problem with - for range?]

IPP> ABNF near finished? [problem with - for range?]

Tom Hastings (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 10:54:40 PDT

Chris,

I haven't had a chance to study your ABNF documents, so this may be
an inappropriate comment.

Will the decision to use "-" for ranges, instead of "..", have problems where
"-" is one of the characters used in tokens to give nice readable attribute
names and value names, such as in ASN.1, and IPP? Having to resort to using
"_" (underscore) as a separator between words in attribute names
and attribute value names or having to quote attribute names and value
names that contain "-" would be a big step backward.

I don't know whether ":" could be used for a range or not?

Thanks for your consideration that "-" (hyphen) be used in tokens
and not for ranges.

I happen to like the ".." for range. I wonder if there is someway
to preserve that usage for ranges and fix you ambiguity problem some
other way?

Tom