IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP>PRO - things that worry me

Re: IPP>PRO - things that worry me

Scott Lawrence (lawrence@agranat.com)
Fri, 02 May 1997 13:09:19 -0400

RKD> 1) Could you provide a short scenario of how using byte ranges
RKD> would work for recovery when sending very large files for those
RKD> of us who are novices in http? That would be genuinely helpful.

I'd be glad to, but it will have to wait until after Interop - I
don't want to attempt a hasty answer and don't have time for more
than that. (If anyone on the list will be at Interop, stop by and
say hello at booth #4206 - it would be good to have faces to go with
the names :-)

RKD> 2) I can see in your response to my last question see how
RKD> shutting down the connection signals some problem, but I'd like
RKD> to be able to tell the client what the problem is!

I'm afraid there is no easy answer to this one. There has been some
(small) discussion of this on the http-wg list, and there just isn't
a way to do it in the current protocol at the HTTP layer. If IPP is
layered _above_ HTTP, then there may well be an answer; as I
understand the current thinking there would be a status URL
associated with any job, so a client who say an early close on the
file transmission could GET the status URL.

--
Scott Lawrence           EmWeb Embedded Server       <lawrence@agranat.com>
Agranat Systems, Inc.        Engineering            http://www.agranat.com/