IPP Mail Archive: IPP> Re: ADM - IPP Documents for the IETF

IPP> Re: ADM - IPP Documents for the IETF

Carl-Uno Manros (cmanros@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Thu, 22 May 1997 10:08:40 PDT

At 12:16 AM 5/22/97 PDT, Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no wrote:
>Carl-Uno,
>in your message, you give a total of seven documents:
>
>IPP Model and Semantics
>IPP Security
>IPP Directory Schema
>IPP Encoding of Operations
>Profile for running IPP over HTTP 1.1
>Internet Printing Requirements
>Mappings between IPP and RFC 1179
>
>At the moment there are 3 internet-drafts in the I-D store:
>
>draft-ietf-ipp-req-00.txt
>draft-ietf-ipp-model-00.txt
>draft-ietf-ipp-dir-schema-00.txt

We actually also had one on Security as well, which the IETF secretariat
refused to list under IPP, because it was not in the Charter, but I have
been over the details about that with Keith earlier.

>None of these have been updated since Memphis.

You are right, but we have now had sufficiently much discussion and
technical contributions for the editors to be able to pull it all together
in a series of new drafts. I only wanted to make sure that we have
agreement about which documents to produce and make sure that a list of
them get into an updated version of the IPP Charter so that we do not run
into the same hassle as we had before Memphis. We expect to have a new set
of I-Ds ready for IETF publication within the next 2 - 3 weeks.

>I really can't tell whether you have the right set of documents
>unless you have some documents; the organization of these documents
>is in fact less important than their content.

I will bear that in mind, but we are to some extent talking hen and egg here.

>(And no, PDF-format documents on a non-IETF fileserver are NOT
>considered WG documents available for public review!)

You may not be following our list and archive, but note that most
everything is now supplied in both TXT and PDF formats, both in the FTP
archive and on our IPP web pages.

>About the HTTP issue:

I knew that you would not be happy about this, but it seems to be where the
majority of the list members are taking us.

>That is Not a Good Thing; you will probably require at least a
>document called "Why We Shot Ourselves In The Foot With HTTP" or
>equivalent, giving the *engineering* justifications for the choice.

I will try to write up the rationale properly before calling for an
official IETF consensus on this.

Believe or not, I think we are making significant progress.

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros@cp10.es.xerox.com