IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP>PRO - Print by reference

Re: IPP>PRO - Print by reference

Scott Lawrence (lawrence@agranat.com)
Fri, 30 May 1997 08:47:53 -0400

JK> We also readily agree with Roger's belief that print-by-reference
JK> should be considered a basic (ie, mandatory) requirement for IPP.

One objection that was raised to the use of HTTP as a 'transport'
was that it might require substantial complexity. In response, I
among others pointed out that only the 'origin server' requirements
of HTTP would apply. If print-by-reference is a MUST, then most of
the HTTP client requirements would be equally applicable.

As I said before, I believe that specifying how this works if
present is a very good idea, but I believe that whether or not to
put this feature in any given product should be a choice left to the
vendor.

This strikes me as an easy feature to describe as a very small set
of attributes which describe whether or not print-by-reference is
supported and if so what identity the printer is configured to use
and any network access restrictions it may have.

--
Scott Lawrence           EmWeb Embedded Server       <lawrence@agranat.com>
Agranat Systems, Inc.        Engineering            http://www.agranat.com/