IPP Mail Archive: IPP> Re: draft-mutz-http-attributes-02.txt

IPP> Re: draft-mutz-http-attributes-02.txt

Neil Joffe (njoffe@cisco.com)
Fri, 06 Jun 1997 09:25:06 -0700

At 07:01 PM 6/5/97 PDT, Andy Mutz wrote:
>I prefer not burdening all apps with 2 resolution numbers when most
>use square resolutions.
>
>Once way around this: Specify "res" to mean horizontal resolution and
>add "res-vert" to indicate vertical resolution.

OK or res-x, res-y

so that we have pix-x, pix-y, res-x, res-y

>If only res is indicated, then a client could assume square pixels.
>
>I think this is sufficiently straightfoward. Comment?

OK.

btw, there is a slightly different isssue with fax: pix-x will be specified,
but pix-y may not. In this case, you cannot assume pix-y and pix-x are
equal. Many fax machines are designed to scale the image if you send them
images longer than the page they are printing on.

>Andy
>

>> IPP, FAX, and HTTP need to know about resolution of the recipient
>> device; I don't think we need three different ways to deal with it.
>>
>> Why not just be straightforward and specify resolution in two
>> directions as integers or rationals?
>>
>> Larry
>> --
>> http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter
>>

>--
>Andrew Mutz | email: andy_mutz@hp.com
>Internet Imaging Operation | Phone: +1 408 447 4439
>Internet Technology Group | Page: +1 800 607 9639
>11000 Wolfe Road 42UO |
>Cupertino, California, USA. | Radio: KF6FUT

Neil Joffe Email: njoffe@cisco.com
Software Engineer Voice: +1 (408) 527-7957
Voice Technology Engineering Fax: +1 (408) 527-3907
Cisco Systems
San Jose