IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> ADM - Goals of the IPP Working Group

Re: IPP> ADM - Goals of the IPP Working Group

Randy Turner (rturner@sharplabs.com)
Fri, 06 Jun 1997 23:14:03 -0700

I think Carl-Uno was talking about that some recent mail messages
have tended towards possibly scaling back IPP to be just SWP. And
since the original SWP document (not the latest doc from Paul
Moore) only met one of several requirements in the charter, that
discussing scaling back was potentially damaging and counter-
productive to the original intent of the working group.

At this point, I don't think we have any business wasting
precious (i.e., market-driven) time by stepping back to the
10000, 25000, 50000, or pick your favorite altitude and
looking at too abstract a big picture. I think what is
solidifying at the moment (meaning what we have agreed to
so far) with the set of documents we have is very close to
meeting the original requirements. And given that this
working group has only been chartered for 4 months, I think
the progress is very good (independent of what the trade rags
might have us believe).

I suggest we go ahead with what we have decided on so far and
proceed from there. I think we're too close to start
reconsidering major components of IPP that we have already
decided on.

We should stay focused and finish the remainder of our work,
including but not limited to the following:

1. A recommendation for secure IPP transactions from the
security sub-group in the form of an internet-draft.

2. Finalize a language and encoding for IPP attributes using
HTTP. We need to reach closure on this very quickly so we
can start prototyping to make sure we have experimental
verification that we've "done the right thing".

3. A short internet draft (possibly informational) on
potential directory schemas for IPP services.

4. Cleaning up any model issues and possibly moving the
attributes section of the model document into a separate
draft, just to make the model document easier to "swallow".

The last few weeks on my schedule have been quite hectic, with
alot of document generation on top of my usual job. I would
have liked to have had more prototyping experience by now but I
appreciate Scott and his colleagues for publishing their
initial experience with encodings for attribute information.
This is just the kind of feedback and analysis we need to
justify our decisions (and to possibly defend our decisions
before the IETF).

Randy