IPP Mail Archive: Re[2]: IPP> PRO - A value-type field for the Protocol Spec

Re[2]: IPP> PRO - A value-type field for the Protocol Spec

Charles Gordon (cgordon@digprod.com)
Mon, 9 Jun 1997 16:35:32 -0400

ASN.1 and BER are designed to handle any conceivable data type. However, that
flexibility comes at a high price. I have happen to have been working on code
to encode and decode SNMP packets the last few weeks. So, I can tell you from
personal experience that BER encoding is very inefficient and also more than a
little bit complex. I doubt that we really need to use BER for the stuff we are
doing with IPP. As someone who is actually writing code that deals with BER,
IMHO BER is not worth the price in complexity (bugs).

A agree with Scott Isaacson that if we get to the point where BER encoding
'makes sense', then IPP is in deep trouble. Perhaps instead of trying to come
up with encoding schemes to handle more and more complexity, we should try to
take a step backwards and make the system simpler. In my experience, complexity
is usually a sign of a bad design.

--- Charles

Subject: Re: IPP> PRO - A value-type field for the Protocol Spec
Author: Robert.Herriot@Eng.Sun.COM (Robert Herriot) at Internet
Date: 6/9/97 12:09 PM

Part of the reaction is the ASN.1/BER is far more complex than simple
text or XDR. In addition, DPA implementations use full ASN.1/BER and
the BER libraries have made significant contributions to their very large
size. I don't know how much BER contributes to the size of SNMP
implementations, but SNMP uses a subset of BER.

Bob Herriot