IPP Mail Archive: IPP> RE: JMP> Final IPP/JMP job-state and job-state-reasons

IPP> RE: JMP> Final IPP/JMP job-state and job-state-reasons

Caruso,Angelo (Angelo_Caruso@wb.xerox.com)
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:00:07 PDT

Tom wrote:

> 5. We agreed that job-state-reasons are all OPTIONAL.
>
> The following JMP sentence will be included in the JmJobStateReasons1TC
> textual-convention:
>
> Implementation of these values is OPTIONAL, i.e., an agent NEED NOT
> implement them, even if the device supports the functionality represented by
> the reason and is available to the agent.

The last part of the last sentence here, "i.e., an agent NEED NOT
implement them, even if the device supports the functionality
represented by the reason and is available to the agent", is
pratically encouraging implementors NOT to implement the job state
reasons. Why not just say "they're optional", PERIOD? I suggest the
wording be shortened to,

"Implementation of these values is OPTIONAL."

for both JMP and IPP.

Thanks,
Angelo