IPP Mail Archive: IPP>PRO: protocol problem, WAS: sorry, but binary is better

IPP>PRO: protocol problem, WAS: sorry, but binary is better

Robert Herriot (Robert.Herriot@Eng.Sun.COM)
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 14:37:51 -0700

After thinking about the partial buffer problem with respect to the
three possible encodings, the ONLY ENCODING THAT SEEMS TO HAVE A PROBLEM
IS THE ONE WE CHOSE. That is why we need to continue the discussion.

In my last email I described the algorithm for the HTTP-like version
which fills a buffer upto CRLF, thus avoiding buffer overlap issues.

With the binary encoding, I would expect that it would fread the two
byte length (call it n) and then fread n bytes of name/value in order
to avoid messy buffer overlaps. It would do this twice for each
parameter. So the reading of bytes would be intimately associated with
the parsing. But Sylvan's GrabAttr seems to assume a buffer that
already has the name and the attribute. How does Sylvan do this
without parsing the two lengths at the high level and in GrabAttr.

Sylvan, could you give more details about how you handle the buffer
overlap problem with binary encoding? I have suggested a method
above, but you seem to have some other way.

Bob Herriot