IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Job identification mandatory

Re: IPP> Job identification mandatory

JK Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 11:06:25 -0400 (EDT)

Paul,

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused by what you refer to as a
"job identifier". Perhaps I'm incorrectly reading your
text, but it sounds like "job identifier" is more of a
"transaction identifier".

The purpose of the GetJobs operation is to return one or
more job identifiers from the target Printer (right?).
Then exactly what are you and Bob proposing?

So sorry if I'm being a bit dense here.

...jay

----- Begin Included Message -----

From: Paul Moore <paulmo@microsoft.com>
To: "'ipp@pwg.org'" <ipp@pwg.org>
Subject: IPP> Job identification mandatory
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 17:25:27 -0700

Change to model following review of protocol.

BobH and I propose that getjobs must always return a unique job
identification (either jobid or job URL , see other recent mail) that
can be used in subsequent requests.

The reason is that most print API work this way and so most clients are
structured on this assumption. (Specifcally in the MS world the EnumJobs
API always returns a job identifier).

----- End Included Message -----