IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Job identification mandatory

RE: IPP> Job identification mandatory

Robert Herriot (Robert.Herriot@Eng.Sun.COM)
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 12:40:09 -0700

Here is some background for the proposal to make job-identification
an attribute that a Printer must return with Get-Jobs, if requested to
do so.

Originally, we said that a paranoid Printer might choose to return no
information about some jobs, but job-uri is special in that it uniquely
identifies the job. So it seems reasonable that if a client asks for
it, the Printer should return it. Paul and I discussed the possibility
that a paranoid Printer might return a special job-uri for secure jobs.
If a client used this job-uri in other operations, the Printer would
recognize it as a special uri that doesn't really reference the job.

This raises the issue as to whether such a special ("fake") job-uri is
also unique or can the same special job-uri be returned for all secure
jobs?

Bob Herriot