IPP Mail Archive: Re[2]: IPP> MIME-types and alignment

Re[2]: IPP> MIME-types and alignment

Bill Wagner (bwagner@digprod.com)
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 18:18:23 -0400

Subject: Re: IPP> MIME-types and alignment
Author: AlBrahme <albrahme@byas.com> at Internet
Date: 8/18/97 6:58 PM

>>It should be noted that previous investigations intended to bring
>>the MIME registry up to the point of being able to sufficiently
>>identify printer languages have been given up as too major an
>>effort with too little benefit.

>Well, what about the reverse? How will printer MIB be updated to
>include MIME types?

Al:

It is my undersanding that the printer MIB prtInterpreterLangFamily
enumerations of printer page description languages are type 2
enumerations, and that the registry is maintained by IANA. By my
recall, a request may be submitted to the PWG identifying the name of
the language, a brief description, an identification of the owner and
a reference to the definitive document describing it. It would also be
desirable to provide information to be included in the
prtInterpreterLangLevel and prtInterpreterLangVersion fields.

I did not follow the specific thread that evidentally caused your
problem with TiffF, but it should be noted that langTIFF(40) has long
been included in the Printer MIB. If TiffF represents a new family, it
should be accepted as such. If it repersents a new level and/or
version, then there would appear no need to get a new enumeration.

The method of identifying languages, although less than perfect,
appeared to best address the constraints of the printer companies who
owned and used these languages. This process was not developed
arbitrarily and there have been several attempts in the past to make
the registry more uniform and usable. There have also been volunteers
who were going to re-register all of the combinations in MIME... but
for some reason they have not been heard from for some time.

I suspect that the PWG has no objection to using or including MIME
encoding, but in past it has found such coding inappropriate. I would
also observe that, because of the tight cost constraints on printers,
there has been an attempt to minimize long text string objects. And
with regard to the suggestion that less popular languages need not be
included, that does not seem to be in the spirit of providing
compatability with the existing equipment base.

Bill Wagner, Osicom/DPI

Author: AlBrahme <albrahme@byas.com> at Internet
Date: 8/18/97 6:58 PM