IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Job-URI discussion

Re: IPP> Job-URI discussion

Jay Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Mon, 08 Sep 1997 18:00:53 -0400

Randy wrote something that I think a lot of us seem to overlook:

> Overall, I don't consider this particular gateway problem to be
> worthy of altering the original model. The real value in getting
> IPP to users is not enabling LPR clients, its enabling IPP clients
> being able to locate IPP printers via the WEB and subsequently
> printing to them. I think we're spending too much time trying to
> save gateway writers a few lines of code.

Randy's right (IMHO), that the REAL challenge is to get IPP clients
out in the field. Printers and print server systems will probably
support LPR/LPD long into the future, and Randy makes a good point
that existing clients will continue to use that infrastructure.

Bob has made some good points in the last few messages, but I think
Randy has really hit the nail on the head...at least with respect to
LPR/LPD.

Windows may be a different animal to deal with, though...

...jay