IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Proposal for IPP to meet IESG Language/CharSet requirements

Re: IPP> Proposal for IPP to meet IESG Language/CharSet requirements

Jay Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Thu, 09 Oct 1997 11:28:23 -0400

--------------578C7E2551A60BAD272EADE4

Randy's comments are right on the mark, IMHO.

The printer industry has been successfully dealing with auto-sensed
data for quite sometime now. It should make no difference what the
official MIME type is, whether it be "application/octet-string" or
"something/go-fish". A rose by any other color, etc...

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but it seems painfully obvious
to me that we have put a big stake in the ground to support legacy
printing systems as part of the philosophy/strategy of wide-scale
IPP deployment. As such, auto-sensing is absolutely mandatory to
for the interoperable implementations to succeed.

The less baggage we attach to the auto-sense situation, the better.
It just seems that the rest of the world has long embraced the MIME
type "application/octet-stream" to be "unknown type, go fish", and
I don't understand why we can't follow that lead. (Sorry if I'm
not up on the latest, greatest IETF trends in this area.)

...jay

-- JK Martin | Email: jkm@underscore.com --
-- Underscore, Inc. | Voice: (603) 889-7000 --
-- 41C Sagamore Park Road | Fax: (603) 889-2699 --
-- Hudson, NH 03051-4915 | Web: http://www.underscore.com --
--------------578C7E2551A60BAD272EADE4