IPP Mail Archive: IPP> REMINDER: Copyright notice requirement for standards track RFCs

IPP> REMINDER: Copyright notice requirement for standards track RFCs

Carl-Uno Manros (cmanros@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Thu, 9 Oct 1997 10:19:39 PDT

FYI,

Editors, please include this new boiler plate.

Carl-Uno

>From: Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no
>To: wg-chairs@apps.ietf.org
>Cc: directorate@apps.ietf.org
>Subject: REMINDER: Copyright notice requirement for standards track RFCs
>Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 05:19:29 PDT
>Sender: hta@dale.uninett.no
>
>Note that RFC 2026, the standards process document that we all follow,
>has the following text in it:
>
> (C) The following copyright notice and disclaimer shall be included
> in all ISOC standards-related documentation:
>
> "Copyright (C) The Internet Society (date). All Rights
> Reserved.
>
> This document and translations of it may be copied and
> furnished to others, and derivative works that comment on or
> otherwise explain it or assist in its implmentation may be
> prepared, copied, published and distributed, in whole or in
> part, without restriction of any kind, provided that the above
> copyright notice and this paragraph are included on all such
> copies and derivative works. However, this document itself may
> not be modified in any way, such as by removing the copyright
> notice or references to the Internet Society or other Internet
> organizations, except as needed for the purpose of developing
> Internet standards in which case the procedures for copyrights
> defined in the Internet Standards process must be followed, or
> as required to translate it into languages other than English.
>
> The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will
> not be revoked by the Internet Society or its successors or
> assigns.
>
> This document and the information contained herein is provided
> on an "AS IS" basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET
> ENGINEERING TASK FORCE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR
> IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE
> OF THE INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY
> IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A
> PARTICULAR PURPOSE."
>

>The IESG has threatened to start enforcing this rule "sometime soon";
>it is probably just good planning to start including this notice in
>your internet-drafts destined for the standards track now.
>
>If your local legal eagles require paperwork in order for you to write
>this, you'd better start working on it, too.
>We haven't yet gotten around to sending out little pieces of dead tree
>for you to scratch using colored implements, but it's not inconcievable
>that it will happen.
>
>I suggest placing it in a separate section, just after the
>"security considerations" section, but before the "Authors' address"
>section, entitled "Copyright". It's enough boilerplate that you
>don't want to put this on the "front page".
>
>Comments?
>
> Harald A

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros@cp10.es.xerox.com