IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Use of SSL3 Framing????

Re: IPP> Use of SSL3 Framing????

Randy Turner (rturner@sharplabs.com)
Thu, 06 Nov 1997 08:51:01 -0800

Carl Kugler wrote:

> Is this "SSL3 Framing" provided by what's referred to as the "Record layer" in
> appendix A.1.1 of "The SSL Protocol Version 3.0" at
> http://home.netscape.com/eng/ssl3/draft302.txt?

SSL3 (and TLS) have an outer layer encapsulation that has a variant field
called "type" that identifies the type of SSL3 message contained within
a message. I believe this is called the "record" layer. The "type" of
message is either "handshake", "alert", "application-data", or
"change-cipher-spec". For a minimal IPP implementation, the
"handshake" and "application-data" records would be used.

Randy

> Is http://home.netscape.com/eng/ssl3/draft302.txt the right reference for this?

If this spec. is dated November 1996, then this is the
spec. I am referencing which I think is current.