IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Processing Algorithm

Re: IPP> Processing Algorithm

Scott Lawrence (lawrence@agranat.com)
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 09:47:39 -0500

ZH> Since client may POST several IPP requests on a single HTTP 1.1
ZH> connection, if the server replys before consuming all the data
ZH> the client sends, it would be difficult for the server to locate
ZH> where the next message starts.

I'm not entirely sure that I'm addressing the right concern here,
but... an HTTP/1.1 server can detect the end of an entity body in
any of three ways: a Content-Length header, Transfer-Encoding:
chunked, or a Multipart encoding that is self-descriptive.

It is true that an HTTP client using persistent connections (either
1.1-style or the Netscape Keep-Alive style) must keep track of the
order of requests, and the server must preserve that order in
sending responses as there is no transaction identifier.

Did that answer your question?

--
Scott Lawrence           EmWeb Embedded Server       <lawrence@agranat.com>
Agranat Systems, Inc.        Engineering            http://www.agranat.com/