IPP Mail Archive: IPP> RE: TES:binary files

IPP> RE: TES:binary files

Zehler,Peter (pzehler@channels.mc.xerox.com)
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 06:35:41 PST

Steve,
Even when we test across the internet we will still need to capture
the results. I am all for anything that will help us move along.
I have created a directory called "Traces" under the new_TES
directory for the time being. We can decide on a directory structure at
a later time. I assume that we will capture traces in more than one
form.
We need to decide on a naming convention. For this purpose I assume
that we will limit each trace file to a single request or response. The
naming convention should provide for the pairing of the request to its
response. The naming convention should facilitate the capturing of an
extended IPP conversation. A conversation is a sequence of IPP
operations on an IPP printer.
We need to designate the session, operation, request|response, and
sequence in the conversation. A suggestion would be "SSSSOR##.trc"
where
SSSS: an arbitrary unique sequence identifier. The identifier
would be unique within the "Traces" directory.
O: The operation of the request/response. This is the
hexadecimal value of the IPP operation enum.
R: Designates request or response. A=request
B=response.
##: sequence number of the operation in the IPP conversation.
We will also need to catalogue the contents of the directory. This
can be accomplished by a pdf file containing a table with relevant
information. I can keep this up to date if contributors send me the
information. I think some concise description of the objective/purpose
of the IPP conversation would be appropriate.

I found that putting up an IPP emulator through an ISV is trivial. The
emulator is the front end of my IPP printer. I have this anyway since
small printers do not have very rich debug environments.

I think we need to know if there is any interest in pursuing binary
trace files. Do any other individuals have any feelings on this?

What do you think?
Pete
__________________________________
Email: pzehler@channels.mc.xerox.com