IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Get Attributes

Re: IPP> Get Attributes

Carl-Uno Manros (carl@manros.com)
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 09:57:56 -0800

At 09:33 AM 12/17/97 MST, you wrote:
>I know this has probably been mentioned before, but as I am getting
>more into implementation I am finding the use of Get-Attributes on
>both the Printer and Job object to be ackward with regard to
>implementation. It is the only case of a method being dependent
>on the object and introduces some special case processing that could
>be avoided by having 2 distinct methods. It seems that with regard
>to consistency it would be better to have 2 methods that are
>similar and consistent with the other methods (Get-Printer-Attributes and
>Get-Job-Attributes). In addition, I think, at least based on my limited
>experience, that perhaps the implementations could be a little simpler.
>
>Since part of the reason for prototyping is to provide feedback to the
>spec developers I thought I would mention this. Steve

Steve,

I have made the suggestion repeatedly that we should have two operations,
but I was apparently never able to deliver strong enough arguments to get
it changed. I still think it is a good idea, but have to leave it to the
editors to determine if they want to do this last minute change.

Carl-Uno