IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Re: ADM - Draft minutes [client security issues]

Re: IPP> Re: ADM - Draft minutes [client security issues]

Jay Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 23:37:55 -0500

I've gotta say that I agree with Ira on the topic of mandatory
support for security. Seems a bit extreme to require both ends
of a comm session to perform a relatively heavy security dance
when the customer does not wish to get involved with the
attendant administration.

...jay

Ira Mcdonald x10962 wrote:

> My client s/w colleagues here at Xerox object STRONGLY to being told
> that the "interoperability" problem belongs to clients, so that they
> cannot build a simple client (without TLS) for intranet IPP printers
> and claim conformance. The IETF ADs are just plain WRONG about this
> one! Security should be a customer purchasing choice, not a "cost of
> doing business using Internet 'standards track' protocols"! If IPP
> actually does supplant LPR in the enterprise network (as we all hope)
> MOST of the printers and clients will be configured WITHOUT security.

-- JK Martin | Email: jkm@underscore.com --
-- Underscore, Inc. | Voice: (603) 889-7000 --
-- 41C Sagamore Park Road | Fax: (603) 889-2699 --
-- Hudson, NH 03051-4915 | Web: http://www.underscore.com --