IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> MOD - Two Get Attributes Operations

Re: IPP> MOD - Two Get Attributes Operations

Tom Hastings (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 10:45:29 PST

Sounds good.

So the old section 3.2.5 Get-Attributes (for Printer objects)
becomes 3.2.5 Get-Printer-Attributes with no changes in the spec
(the target remains a printer URI).

and the old section 3.3.4 Get-Attributes (for Job objects)
becomes 3.3.4 Get-Job-Attributes with no changes in the spec
(the target remains either a printer URI plus a job-id
OR a job-uri (with no job-id).

Both operations are MANDATORY.

If we add new objects to IPP in the future, they will be OPTIONAL
for compatibility.
And we can then add an OPTIONAL Get-Object-Attributes operation
which takes the URI for the object to get its attributes.
We'd probably just add a new tag in the protocol for responses:
object-attributes.

Thus the change we are making today does not preclude our adding
new OPTIONAL objects in the future.

Tom