IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Re: JMP> URGENT: Should impressions include blank last p

RE: IPP> Re: JMP> URGENT: Should impressions include blank last p

Caruso, Angelo (Angelo.Caruso@usa.xerox.com)
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 07:33:56 PST

Tom,

I disagree that the impressions counters are intended only for
monitoring. For monitoring, you only need the jobImpressionsCompleted
and jobImpressionsRequested counters. The fullColorImpressionsCompleted
and highlightColorImpressionsCompleted attributes were proposed
specifically for accounting with color capable devices.

Our assumption was that impressions would be more useful for accounting
since they are more accurate than sheets. Though I am not an accounting
expert, I think providing the impression counters gives an accounting
application developer added flexibility (e.g. so that billing for blank
sides could be made optional depending on the requirements of the
customer).

I also agree with Bill Wagner that complete accuracy would require
measuring colorant use per side. We thought about this and decided it
was way too complicated for the job MIB. Our compromise solution was to
propose the fullColor and highlightColor impressions counters.

At any rate, it is clear that we need more input from real customers on
their accounting requirements. For example, if most print shops charge
one per-sheet rate for color devices and another rate for monochrome
devices, then the color impressions counters aren't currently needed.
But providing them offers customers a competitive edge in their billing
methods since they can be more accurate.

Thanks,
Angelo