IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> MOD - Outside the box resolution for the two URIs

Re: IPP> MOD - Outside the box resolution for the two URIs

Carl-Uno Manros (carl@manros.com)
Tue, 06 Jan 1998 19:12:45 -0800

At 06:11 PM 1/6/98 PST, Larry Masinter wrote:
>You know, I still haven't understood why you need more than one
>URI. A printer is a resource. The URI is a resource identifier.
>A URL is a resource locator, and determines the access method
>by the scheme. So why do you need a resource to know about other
>access methods for the same resource?
>
>Larry
>--
>http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter

Larry,

The problem is that HTTP without TLS and HTTP with TLS are using two
different schemes. We have specified that the URL resource locator part
of the URI SHOULD be the same, but you might for instance have different
ports for the two schemes, which would result in differences.

BTW has there been any discussion in the W3C HTTP NG project about
whether it would share the scheme with the current HTTP or be a totally
new scheme?

Carl-Uno